|Search loom bands on Google trends||Search kinetic sand on Google trends|
1. What Kind of Toys Will Bring You Business?So far with my experience, importers from different countries most prefer importing classic toys such as balls, cars, plush animals, because all these classic toys have large and stable demand every year. It’s not necessary to worry about the sale as there is always customers who want them. Besides, there are usually hot selling toys each year in the world, such as loom bands during 2013-2014, kinetic sand and balancing scooter during 2014-2015. If you can discover the potential of these products and import them earlier than your competitors, then you will already make much money when other people start to sell. At that time, you can start to find next product.
2. Classification of Toys Produced in ChinaToys made in China have lots of categories, and I divide them in the following form by types and manufacture areas.
|Toy Category||Toys||Manufacture Areas in China|
|Remote control toys||RC Helicopter, Cars, Boats, Quadrocopter||Chenghai, Shenzhen|
|Diecasts & Toy Vehicles||Cars,Trucks, Car Models||Chenghai|
|Toy Figures||Lego Toys, Animation Figures||Chenghai|
|Doll& Stuffed Toys||Toy animals, Puppets, Mascot, Costume||Mainly in Yangzhou and Qingdao, but there are also some in Yiwu, Shenzhen and other cities|
|Classic Toys||Yoyo, Balloon, Balls, Kaleidospce||Chenghai, Yiwu, and other cities depending on products.|
|Learning & Education Toys||Toy Musical Instrument||Yunhe(Zhejiang Province) for wood made toys|
|Outdoor & Playground Toys||Kid’s Slide, Seesaw||Yongjia (a small town of Wenzhou), the capital of playground toys in China|
|Models & Building Toys||Building Blocks||Chenghai, Yiwu|
|Baby Toys||Baby Rattles, Baby Walker||No specified cities, but mainly in Zhejiang and Guangdong Province.|
|Puzzles & DIY Toys||Puzzles, Magic Cube||High quality Puzzles mainly produced in Chenghai. DIY craft toys mainly produced in Yiwu.|
3.Where to Find Toy Manufacturers and Suppliers in China?Most products made in China have their own places of origin, so does toys. No matter you are in China in person, or you are searching suppliers on Internet, like Alibaba.com, you need to pay attention to where the suppliers are located. By my experience, toys made in China are mainly produced in the follow 5 places:
a. Chenghai, Guangdong Province—World’s Capital of ToysIf you are specialized in toys business and always purchasing large quantity, Chenghai will be the best choice. You can find toys companies or factories, or things related to toy everywhere in this city. Not like the wholesale market in Yiwu where suppliers are gathering, toy factories located in Chenghai usually send their samples to toy trading companies. Trading companies upload all products to their Alibaba pages or own websites, and place orders to these factories when foreigners ordered. Of course there also are several large toys trading companies who has their own showroom which can be thousands square meters. Customers can visit their showroom, choose products and place orders. Besides, there are also many showroom companies in Chenghai, and factories can show their samples by renting display racks (one rack costs $500-$1000 per year). If you are interested in some products showing there, the companies will offer you all factory’s contact information. But most toy factories don’t have good English-speaking sales, so you’d better have a Chinese translator to assist you, if you are planning to visit showrooms and contact factories directly. Or toys trading companies will be better choice.
|Customers are selecting toys in showroom company||Customers take the samples in shopping cart away|
b. Yiwu—Where Low-Value and Small Toys Are Mainly ProducedMany low-value toys like kids DIY craft toys are produced in Yiwu and cities close by, and here also gather lots of toy suppliers all over China, including toy suppliers from Chenghai. It’s very convenient to source toys as the wholesale market is just like a large fair. (To know more about Yiwu wholesale market, please check another blog: 6 Facts of Yiwu Wholesale Market-World’s Biggest Market-Guide 1) If you are visiting China personally, and are specialized in plastic or electronic toy business, then you can visit Chenghai. (Check the first part to know how to source suppliers in Chenghai) If toys are only one part of your business, you need to buy many other products in your container, then Yiwu will be a suitable place. Because it’s very convenient to buy all your products in Yiwu’s wholesale market. Even you buy Chenghai made toys in Yiwu, the price here won’t have much difference from buying from Chenghai.
c. Yangzhou/Qingdao—Where Plush and Stuffed Toys Are Mainly ProducedAlthough you can also find plush and stuffed toys suppliers, normally are trading companies, in Chenghai, Yiwu or Shenzhen, most suppliers of these toys are located in Yangzhou, and some small stuffed toys are also produced in Qingdao. There is stuffed toys wholesale market in Yangzhou, which is not far away from Shanghai, you can visit there if you are specialized in importing stuffed toys.
d. Yongjia, Zhejiang Province: China’s Capital of Learning and Playground Toys for KidsQiaoxia, a small town located in Yongjia City, is the main place where learning and playground toys are produced in China. If you plan to visit China to source suppliers for this kind of toys, you can go to Qiaoxia town as many factories are gathering there. If you are searching suppliers online, it’s better to pay attention to their locations in China, and make sure they are from Wenzhou City, because Yongjia is belong to Wenzhou.
4. How to Search Toy’s Suppliers from China OnlineDo not be deceived by Chinese suppliers online as they all tell you that they are factories, and they can produce whatever kind of toys you like. Actually, most suppliers you can contact on Internet are trading companies. Because the scale of many Chinese toy factories are usually not big, and most their orders are getting from trading companies. Some of toy factories also have shops on Alibaba, but they seldom get orders from foreigner buyers. You can also find many big scale and professional toy factories in toy fairs, such as Canton Fair, and Global Sources Fair. Searching suppliers online is the only way if you are not coming to China, and I suggest you to use Alibaba.com. To learn how to find good suppliers on Alibaba, please check another blog: Tips for Sourcing Good Suppliers on Alibaba: You Never Knew Before. Some of you may consider some small wholesale platform such as Aliexpress or DHgate, but I don’t recommend you to source toys from this kind of platform, which choose international express as the shipping method. Because toy’s value usually is not high, but product’s size is always big, so the shipping cost is very high when use air freight and express, sometimes higher than the product’s price. So the most economical shipping way is by sea freight, and purchase in large quantity, at least 2-3 CBM, otherwise your average shipping cost for each product will be very high.
5. Problems May Have When Import Toys from ChinaToy products are usually used by children, so many countries have strict rules and high requirement for toys. Except for this, toys products still have other problems that make it little more complicated than other products, and here are several main problems you may have when import toys from China.
a. Problem of Compliance and SaftyCertificate and safety are the biggest one among all problems, and different countries have different required standards for imported toys. Here’s some certification required by US and EU for toy products.
- United States The first three tests of ASTM F963: Mechanical/Physical testing, Flammability testing, and Chemical testing. The another is CPSIA (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act): lead and phthalates test, and labeling test.
- European Union Toys exported to Europe have to pass Toy Safety Directive (EN 71 -1,2,3) and have a CE mark.